Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, UAE deplore Qatar’s lack of seriousness to end its crisis with Quartet

Manama: Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have deplored the lack of serious engagement by Qatari officials to end their dispute with the three countries as well as with Egypt.

In Manama, Bahrain’s Foreign Minister Shaikh Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifa regretted Qatar’s lack of seriousness to put an end to the crisis that came to the open in June 2017.

The Qatari attitude was obvious in the way Qatar approached its participation in the 40th Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) summit held in Riyadh on December 10. Qatar adopted once more a terribly negative approach by sending a representative of the Emir without any authority or directive that could contribute to resolving its crisis, the Bahraini minister said.

Qatar’s foreign minister’s statement that the recent talks with Saudi Arabia had gone beyond the demands issued by the Quartet to end the Qatari crisis and are now looking into a perspective for the future did not reflect what had been really discussed, Shaikh Khalid added.

“Our four countries are fully committed to their firm positions and legitimate demands based on the six principles adopted by the Cairo meeting on July 5, 2017,” he said.

“These principles call for a commitment to combating extremism and terrorism, an end to all acts of incitement and discourses inciting to hatred or violence and full adherence to the 3013 Riyadh Agreement and its supplementary agreement of 2014. The principles also call for commitment to all the outcomes of the May 2017 Arab-Islamic American Summit in Riyadh, non-interference in the internal affairs of countries, not supporting outlawed entities, and the affirmation of the responsibility of all countries in confronting all forms of extremism and terrorism as a threat to international peace and security.”

In Abu Dhabi, UAE State Minister for International Affairs Dr Anwar Gargash said that the Qatari crisis continued.

“The absence of the Emir of Qatar from the Riyadh Summit is due to a misjudgment of the situation by his advisors. The basis for the solution remains the necessity to address the roots of the crisis between Qatar and the four countries that call for combating terrorism,” Gargash posted on his Twitter account.

“The diagnosis of the GCC case should be based on the primacy of the interest of the Council. The responsibility begins with the one who triggered the crisis and who should review the wrong policies that led to his isolation. Commitment to covenants, restoring credibility and ending support to extremism and interference are the start of the treatment.”

Earlier, Saudi Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel Al Jubeir said that there were necessary steps that Qatar needed to take for a change in the situation.

“The Qataris know what these steps are,” he said in a speech at the Mediterranean Dialogues in Rome.

Al Jubeir stressed that the Qatari regime has adopted some changes in legal aspects related to supporting terrorism.

However, these steps are not enough to solve the crisis, and there is a lot to be done, he said.

Source: Bahrain News Agency