CR7 tests positive for coronavirus, misses Sweden match

Lisbon, Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive for the coronavirus, the nation’s football federation FPF said on Tuesday.

 

A statement said that Ronaldo “is doing well, without symptoms, and is in isolation,” without giving further information on him, said dpa international.

 

He was dropped from the squad for Wednesday’s Nations League match against Sweden for the title holders and European champions.

The FPF said that all other players underwent new coronavirus tests earlier Tuesday which returned negative.

 

As a result, they are available for the game against the Swedes in Lisbon which is to go ahead as planned.

 

The Portugal squad gathered last week and drew 0-0 in a friendly with Spain and in the Nations League at world champions France, with Ronaldo featuring in both games. Portugal and France are joint top on seven points in Group A3.

 

Ronaldo, 35, will surely also miss upcoming matches of his Italian club Juventus after the positive test.

 

Juve visit Crotone in the Serie A on Saturday, have their Champions League opener next week Tuesday at Dynamo Kiev, and then face Barcelona with Ronaldo’s long-time rival Lionel Messi the following week in the elite event. He can only return to action after testing negative again.

 

Ronaldo on Monday posted a picture of himself and the other Portugal players, all sitting close together, during a meal, with the caption on the Twitter post translating into: “United on and off the field!”

 

However, social distancing and face masks are not mandatory within a team bubble.

 

Neither Juve nor Ronaldo have so far commented on the positive test.

 

Ronaldo is not the first footballer to contract the Sars-CoV-2 virus, but among the most famous ones.

 

Others include his Juventus team-mate Paulo Dybala; Paris Saint-Germain’s Neymar, Kylian Mbappe, Angel di Maria and Marquinhos; Paul Pogba of Manchester United and AC Milan’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

 

Ronaldo could also face trouble in Italy because he was among half a dozen Juventus players who left the team’s quarantine – after two staffers tested positive – for national team duty.

 

Their departures could be an infringement of the FIGC safety protocol and of state sanitary laws.

 

Source: Bahrain News Agency

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

For security, use of Google's reCAPTCHA service is required which is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

I agree to these terms.