FIFA has decided to remove Indonesia as the host of the FIFA U-20 World Cup 2023, scheduled between May 20 and June 11, following its objection to the participation of Israel’s national team.
In its statement on Wednesday, FIFA said that a new host would be announced as soon as possible, with the dates of the tournament currently remaining unchanged. FIFA added that potential sanctions against the Football Association of Indonesia (PSSI) might also be decided at a later stage. FIFA did not give any reasons for removing Indonesia as the host of the FIFA U-20 World Cup 2023 and just said “due to the current circumstances.” The draw for the tournament, scheduled on Friday, was canceled due to the governor of Bali’s call to exclude “Israel” from the tournament that will be held in six cities with the participation of 24 teams.
FIFA stressed that despite the decision, it remains committed to actively assisting the PSSI, in close cooperation and with the support of the government of President Widodo, in the transformation process of Indonesian football following the tragedy that occurred in October 2022.
FIFA said that members of the FIFA team would continue to be present in Indonesia in the coming months and would provide the required assistance to the PSSI, under the leadership of President Thohir.
Following FIFA’s decision, President of Indonesia Joko Widodo said that he would send Chairman of the Football Association of Indonesia and former chairman of Inter Milan Erick Thohir to hold talks with FIFA’s officials.
Officials had previously affirmed that the reason behind canceling the draw was the call of Bali’s governor Wayan Koster to exclude “Israel” because of its policy towards Palestinians in a letter directed to the Indonesian Ministry of Youth and Sports last month.
Indonesia suffered one of the worst disasters in the sport’s history that led to the death of 135 people, including more than 40 children, in a stampede last October in Malang, east Java.
Source: Qatar News Agency